My brother said ‘if you can’t sleep, try and do something, like watch a film, read a book, listen to music etc.. as I have been terrified of waking up in the night I could NEVER really enjoy any of this. Heart pounding, head buzzing with worry and whole of next day..being a zombie. I have struggled with insomnia for ten years , may be more..and I know how bad it is! My worst nightmare was to lie awake, without my sleeping pills , which I had gotten so used to..(doctors in my family prescribed low dose of Ativan after doing a lot of effort in convincing because its highly addictive ) as a result I got hugely dependent on tabs to help me sleep…
I guess years of unskillful lifestyle bombarded with stress, erratic shooting hours in nights or staying up late in parties..could be the trigger. Health deteriorates if we don’t get 8 to 9 hrs of sleep daily, specially our immune system goes for a toss. Sleep is a very important aspect of healing as in this time our cells are getting regenerated and recharges too.
My tried and tested methods are.
1) No caffeine in the evening.
2) Slow down the pace of activity as the night falls.
3) Take hot bath (l m a big fan of lavender oil,soaps,bath salts).
4) Soft music..relax.
5) meditate, do breath watch n meditate. I FIND THIS SPECIALLY EFFECTIVE FOR SLEEP.
6) NO TV and No comp (this one is my struggle as I get free in evening and would like to check my mails or catch up on news etc..hence I m mindful that I won’t switch on comp or tv after n if I do its only for 30 mins and thats all).
7) Read a book.
8) Fix a time to go to bed n wake up, this really works as body loves discipline. BUT my freedom from it actually happened after a long stint in oneness university as the result of my intense prayers!! The day I could sleep without tab peacefully for 8 hrs, I celebrated with my teachers in oneness university!!
Interestingly I stumbled upon articles on plants that promotes sleep..wow, who could think of that?
Aloe vera is an excellent indoor plant.
Lavender plant..You may have used lavender essential oil, but have you ever tried growing your own lavender plant?
Jasmine plant.. Just smelling this plant may help to reduce anxiety and stress.
English ivy.. is classy and easy to grow and this affordable plant may help you to significantly improve the quality of sleep.
Snake plant..are easy to keep alive and are great for interior decorating. Snake plants are believed to improve air quality by filtering the air and thus improving the overall atmosphere of a home.
The purer the air the better sleep at night and more productivity during the day!
I read anything under the sky about insomnia, talk about it passionately as I KNOW the struggle. So I will suggest few good articles on insomnia and how to get rid of it.
AND at the cost of sounding cliché i will say..”YOU CAN DO IT..IF I CAN SO CAN YOU””